The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Do You Know Who Christopher Hitchens Is? If Not, You Should!

You know how we buy T-shirts: Vette, Ford, Mustang, Chevy, Bud, and so on.Well, I always wondered about that. Why would I spend my money to promote someone else's product? That surely doesn't make any sense, does it?

Then there's the Jeff Gordon, Red Skins, and so on.....which is a little more understandable. Also, there's the college T-shirts and the travel T-shirts; I went to France and want you to know it.
 
This photo/snap is a T-shirt I just bought. Yep, Hitch Slap!  Yes, Christopher Hitchens.


I do on occasion buy T-shirts that have a message. Yes, that have something to say. And, I couldn't resist this one. I'm not sure what I expect to happen. Maybe, someday I'll be wearing it and someone will ask me about it and I'll have the opportunity to engage them in conversation. Well, that most likely won't happen, but what the heck, it's possible.


Where was I? Though Hitch has written many books, his best known is god is not Great.    

Like many of us, I get these emails saying I can have lunch with the President. Yep, pony up $5,000 and so on. Terrific.



Occasionally, the question will be posed, who would you like to have dinner with? Or have a beer with? Out of everyone out there? Who would you chose?

Well, if he were still alive, my first choice would be Christopher Hitchens.

I'm not going to go on and on about Mr. Hitchens. What I will say, if you don't know about Mr. Hitchens, you should. Here's a good place to start.



1 comment:

  1. Although I knew who Hitchens was, I had never taken the time to listen. The link you provided is an excellent place to start. I have been of the frame of mind, regarding religion, as who cares. I would spend no more time worring about it, than aliens, the boogyman, or chemtrails. Hitchens makes a powerful point as the why this, head in the sand view, is wrong. Unfortunately, I have bigger (multitudes) of fish to fry. Excellent video nevertheless.

    --Mark

    ReplyDelete