The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Tony Stewart Ran Into and Killed Kevin Ward, Jr.

I was somewhat amazed that all of the news channels reported on this.

CNN, ABC, CBS, and others are reporting. And, there are several op-eds kind of essays about whether Stewart should be charged because of this tragic event.

Some are saying Stewart is a hot head and ask, did he try to buzz (for lack of a better word) Ward and accidentally kill him? None of us know this. Would any of us believe that Tony actually wanted to hurt this kid? I hope not.

This death is different than most racing deaths. Most deaths happen because of accidents while the race is in progress. Yes, these are tragic also; however, they are different than what happened to the young fellow who Tony hit. He was not in his car, he was on the track.

Today was the Michigan race. And, yes, Tony Stewart had Jeff Burton fill in for him. This is the second race Tony has missed. What the future holds for Stewart none of us know. And, I surely wouldn't want to be him at this time.

I had a limited and not-noteworthy racing career. Raced with the SCCA (cars), the AAMRR (motorcycle road racing), and lots of short-track motorcycle racing. And, held a novice license with the American Motorcycle Association (AMA)...no, not the American Medical Association.



Yes, a Norton motorcycle. Sorry, yes, I grabbed this from the Internet.


I think for anyone who has raced, there are races or events, or particular instances that we will always remember.

Speaking of buzzing....now, my definition of buzzing is when a competitor passes you really close. Yes, closer than needed or necessary. Now, I'm not saying this is inherently bad...but, they sure have come close when there was plenty of track-room available.

The one that I best remember, the buzz, was at a AAMRR race at Virginia International Raceway. Yes, folks, this was in the sixties. I was riding a stock Yamaha 350 (yes, two-cycle) and was on the main straight, maybe going max of 115 when a fellow on a Norton, came by me. And, yes, he definitely buzzed me. He was going at least 20/25 mph faster, and yes, missed my handlebar by mere fractions of an inch.

And, so it goes. I hope Tony Stewart can come to grips with this tragedy.


EDIT: August 19, 2014
From our local paper, an AP article by Jenna Fryer about Tony Stewart.

EDIT:  September 26, 2014
An amazing article about Stewart, a usually private person, talking about how he's been since the "accident."



No comments:

Post a Comment