The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Ahhh, Another Go-No-Where Project? Or, Will This One Somehow Work Out?

Well, I'm not sure exactly how this got started. Let's see, it was two/three days ago. I'm not even sure what the catalyst was. Anyway, I started looking at bikes. Yes, fold-up bikes. In particular, the Brompton that is a well-known British bike.

Hmmm. Wow, they were sort of pricey but all the reviews were positive and folks seem to love them. In fact, a young couple sold everything they had, bought two, and yes, hit the road and are traveling around the US.

At first glance the folding bikes look somewhat toyish. But, they seemingly aren't and there seems to be few disadvantages to them. Of course one of the main selling points is their foldability. If you want to take it somewhere to ride, you don't have to put on a bike rack or take off wheels to try to jam it in your car. Just fold it up and put it in your trunk or back seat. It weighs about 25 pounds.

Anyway, I started looking at other manufacturers and after spending the better part of a day reading reviews and such, ended-up at  Bike Friday.  And, yes, I'm buying a Bike Friday bike that should be shipped about December 19th.

And, after talking to my pal Eddie who knows just about everything about bikes and with the patient and knowledgeable help of Robbie Dow at Bike Friday, man oh man, I'm going to have a terrific bike. No folks, they ain't all the same.


Another cool thing, if you will, is this baby is going to be custom made. Yep, you send them measurements, inseam, height, and so on...yeah, riding style (Since I don't have a riding style, I guess I'll have to pass on that one.). And, they make the bike for you.


It's going to have disc brakes and a Gates belt-drive; no chain to oil or mess with. Also, it's going to have a cool Shimano 11-speed gear gizmo that's sealed and requires no maintenance. You are able to specify just about any parts that you want. Yes, it's truly made for the buyer just the way he or she wants it.

Well, enough for now. When it arrives I'll take some snaps and be back.

If any of you folks have the sudden urge to buy one of these cool bikes, give Robbie a call at 1-800-777-0258. If you want it by Christmas time, you'd better call soon.

2 comments:

  1. Looks really cool, however I see you have dodged the cost issue. Nevertheless, I like it. Now all you need are so latex bike shorts!��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, as always thanks for stopping by. No I ain't getin' no dang latex shorts.
    The cost...well, for one thing it saves money on gas if I ride it. Not sure if it saves gas if it stays in the back of my car.
    The cost...well, it wasn't as much as my Subaru---I cut back on some of the options.. It really wasn't. Honest. And, I don't have to insure it. Hey, it was a heck of a deal.

    George

    PS. Give Robbie a call and get you and Irene one. They have an optional rifle scabbard available, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete