The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Craphead Award Number One to Kathy Verrico, Executive Director of the Gasparilla Island Bridge Authority, Boca Grande, Florida.......

Yesterday, in Chattanooga, TN, a Muslim terrorist murdered four Marines. I've been thinking about posting a comment, but what to say? Go on a rant about Muslims? Muslims suffer the same god virus that all religious people suffer-firmly held beliefs in the supernatural and what amounts to fairy tales. 

I guess my only comment would be that if a Muslim plans an act of terrorism she/he should be sentenced to life in prison. Why? Simple, if they are released they will be the same and nothing will have changed. They will still want to kill us. It would seem giving them a fifteen-year sentence would only delay their attacks.

Then I saw the article about Sam Samsonov, a 77-year-old  toll collector, who's worked for the Gasparilla Island Bridge Authority for almost 30 years.  It seems he lost his job, fired, for an act of kindness in paying a toll for someone who he realized he'd changed too little. Obviously, there may be something that I'm not privy too, however, it seems he wasn't fired exactly, but told that he could only work two days a week. Read the article.

I guess I had what I'm calling an epiphanySamsonov and I are almost the same age-I'll be 76 in a few weeks. I worked until I was 71 at which time I was forced out of my job. I can appreciate the importance of people working who want to work. It seems Samsonov's job, was more than just a job.

Anyway, I decided that the person who fired him, Kathy Verrico (she's the executive director, so I'm putting his firing on her) would be given my first S*ithead Award. In deference to my mom, I have toned it down to my first Craphead Award. My mom, who maybe said damn once or twice in her life always said, Profanity is the tender, if you will, of a bankrupt vocabulary.

EDIT: July 18, 2015. Sadly, a fifth person has died.

No comments:

Post a Comment