The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Friday, June 9, 2017

OK, What Can I Say...Yes, I Bought Another Car!!!! Pretty Sure This Will Be My Last Purchase....

I must have some, as yet-to-be-diagnosed mental illness that makes me buy cars. Hmm. Or, maybe I just like cars and have a severely-impaired impulse control.

Anyway, I first got interested in the Prius when my friend, Eddie, bought one a couple or so years ago. Eddie, well...has a ton of cars including a Corvette, Miata, and a Datsun Z something or other. So, I wondered, What's up with the Prius? Eddie has had nothing bad to say about his car. And, though I think he may drive the Miata once in a while, I think he usually drives the Prius. Eddie also has several friends who have Priuses. One has driven 90,000 miles in the past two years. They all report they run forever with only basic maintenance. And, nope, none have had to replace the battery.


Anyway, over the past couple of years, I've quizzed Eddie about his car and read a bunch of road tests and such.

And, I recently succumbed to the Siren Call of the Prius.

I'll spare you a long version of the buying process and only say, that over the past years I've bought four cars out-of-state; three in Maryland and one in Delaware. One of the main reasons is the local so-called documentation fee of $700.

I had briefly met Pauline six months or so ago. Recently, we had one phone conversation and several emails. Then I went by and drove a car and a few days later, mine came in (they swapped with another dealer). Pauline made the process painless. And, I got a darned-good price (Toyota had some great rebates).

Though I've only had the car a couple of weeks and have barely driven it, there is surely no buyers' remorse. The car is great....comfortable, quiet, decent handling, and no complaints. And, of course, there's the unbeatable gas mileage.

If you live in the Tidewater area and are interested in a Prius or a
Toyota product, give Pauline Pitman a call at Charles Barker Toyota. Mention my name and she'll give you 50% off (just joking).

Pauline, I would say is a Prius expert. She's worked at Charles Barker for 17 years and has owned Priuses since they first came out. Yes, every generation and presently drives the fourth generation.

EDIT: I have a lot more to say about Priuses, but...this comment or posting started to take on a life of its own and I thought I'd get this finished and will add another posting about Priuses shortly (I hope).

OK, I give. I've messed with this post for at least an hour. And, for some reason, I can't get the print all the same size. Over the years this has happened a couple of times. Sorry, folks....

1 comment: