The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Short Day Trip to Yorktown, Virginia

October 1781, the last major battle of the Revolutionary War was fought at Yorktown, with the British surrendering to the forces of the US and France.


Perfect day to get some fresh air. Not sure what the temperature was but it was perfect. A nice bright sunny day. From my door to the battlefield is 37.1 miles.

Wow, these are some crappy photos. Actually, I don't think crappy adequately describes them. More like abysmal.

And, believe it or not I actually know a bunch of stuff about photography. It might have helped if I'd looked at the camera's settings before using it. Oh, well....or, maybe just put in on automatic. Sorry, folks.


Yes, another cannon.

"Le Renard" the "Fox." Click on the image then enlarge to read the plaque.









This is, OK??? Well, compared to the rest.

What's a battlefield without cannon?


Yes, just what I needed, more stuff! Dang, just couldn't help myself. Fifty bucks! I'm going to put the sticker on my car. Yep, everyone will know I'm a seasoned long-distance traveler. Could of been worse, I almost bought three packets of stamps at ten bucks each.


Just a thought. Do countries actually win wars, or is the winner the country who lost the least? Is a war worth the death of one citizen? Some wars it would seem that we, the US, have some idea of how many troops "we're going to lose." Lose? We mean, be killed. So, let's just pick a number. Let's say 5,000. Now, before we begin the war we gather 5,000 of our service people, line them up, and before we go to war, the President has to meet and shake hands with everyone of them, and in essence, say, "Yes, I'm going to declare war and you're going to die." No, I'm not going with you, I'm staying in the White House, will eat terrific food, and have a great place to lay my head down every night.


 
For some reason, when I post this it isn't  the same "look" as when I'm making it. Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment