The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Really a Chilly Day, Low 30s, and a Breeze....




This is supposed to be artsy. Actually, if I had any shame I wouldn't post it.
Well, for some not-exactly-known reason I ventured out today. Yes, it was nippy. I didn't stay long. A few snaps taken at Seashore State Park.

I spent 15/20 minutes talking to Bud Lite (pilot call sign), who manned the office at the park. A nice pleasant fellow who spent thirty years in the Navy as an aviator. Delightful fellow. Said he "likes getting out of the house" and works for the City (VB) at various places. Yep, we're the same age. I wonder if the City wants to hire me.... No question mark, as it's rhetorical, of course.


If anyone, from not in our area happens to look at this, the water is the Chesapeake Bay. The ships are anchored waiting for their turns to go into the port and unload more stuff for us.

If you squint your eyes a little and look to the left of the ship that's furerest to the left, you'll see a couple of the islands that are part of the Bay Bridge tunnel. The tunnel/bridge runs from Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore of Virginia.  Edit: I just clicked on the photo and you can see the bridge and islands when it's enlarged. Not a bad snap, if I say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment