The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Ahh, My First Time Making Peanut Soup....

This morning, got up a little before sunup, went out in the fields and picked a bushel of peanuts.

OK, not exactly.


I've had peanut soup once. I can even remember where even though it's been at least 15 years. There was a small motel and restaurant in Surry, Virginia. I remember it as being pretty good (the soup).

A few years ago thought of making peanut soup, bought 12 cans tomato soup...and, never did.


Lately been eating more peanut butter than usual and recently bought Richard's peanut butter. So, today I made my version of peanut soup.

1 can condensed tomato soup/with a can of water
1 small can diced tomatoes and green chilis
3 heaping tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter.
No spices added.

When served, I added a chopped scallion to the top of the soup.

And, how was it? Hmm. 1-10? Maybe 5.

Actually, think it was a little too spicy/hot (for me, of course). The taste was...hmm, so-so? My opinion changed some over the course of two bowls (actually, a 22-ounce cup I use for soup).

It has potential. Quick and easy. My kinda food.


Next time I'm going to use regular diced tomatoes and start with two tablespoons of creamy peanut. Creamy vs crunchy? No particular reason. And, then carefully and judicially add spices that are not known as I type this. Will look at a few recipes.

1 comment: