The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hmmm, I Just Felt Compelled to Write This....


Well, in almost another life, if you will, I met an interesting  fellow who had interesting tales to tell.

What made me think of this was my recent visit to the Beach and the photo I took of the Edgar Cayce's A.R.E. (Association for Research and Enlightenment). I had thought about maybe driving a few blocks and taking a picture of The Heritage (I'm pretty sure that's the name of the place).

The Heritage, sells all things weird, you know, magical and mystical books, crystals, incense, holistic this that and the other, books such as, How to Be a Reiki Master in 24 Hours and Heal the World, and so on. And, what made me think of all of this has to do with crystals.

Listen carefully.

This fellow had a drinking problem...or, a problem with drinking, take your pick. To add to the problem he worked in an environment that served booze and to further compound the problem, person after person would buy him drinks. I think he came by his drinking problem honestly, to use that word.

Anyway, he would stop for short periods of time. Crystals..... What about the crystals?

OK, he woke one morning and in his words, "Damn, there were a bunch of rocks in my bed. They surrounded me."

Come to find out they weren't exactly rocks. Nope, they were special crystals that his wife had paid a small fortune for. Yes, these magic crystals were going to cure his problem with alcohol. The crystals would do it.

Of course, her use of crystals didn't stop there.

He said that one time there were some crystals arranged in a sort of  triangular fashion, at the door leading out of the garage to the backyard.

"What are these rocks doing here?"

"Oh, they will keep the fleas from coming in and getting on the dog."

He also said he saw several $80 charges to his credit card. Yep, crystals again. His wife would routinely send them off to have them cleared and cleansed and powered-up.


I'm not sure if there's a moral here. Maybe never underestimate the usefulness of crystals? Or, maybe, be careful whom you marry.

A note: I surely don't want to be posting entries without at least one photo. Well folks, it's a little after midnight, and, I want to use my photos, not grab them off the web.... Well, heck. Here's this bottle of gin. Yes, Bombay Sapphire gin (Thanks, Mark.). Get it? Crystal, sapphire. Sapphire, crystal. Folks, it's a little after midnight...this is the best I could do.

2 comments:

  1. Regarding gin. James Bond was absolutely incorrect. A proper Martini should never be shaken, rather stirred to the rhythm of a Viennese waltz. The Martin is possibly one of the greatest inventions of man. Sometimes, on my second, I think; maybe, just maybe, there might be a God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    Thank you, sir. Yes, for introducing me to Bombay Sapphire. It would seem I've been deprived for years....

    It might well kick the single malt out of the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete