The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My Echo Arrived Yesterday. My Life is Now Complete! Honest, Well, Almost, Sort of.....

OK, folks, this is pretty darn cool. Well, better than just cool. So, what the heck is this Echo? Actually, I'm not exactly sure...but, I'll take a stab at explaining it.

A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from Amazon saying I could signup to possibly receive an invitation to buy an Echo. As I'm a Prime member, the price would be $99. After this initial period the cost would go to $199.

Hey, Jeff....what's up with this? Some type of marketing ploy? Oh, well.....                          
Yes, this is the Echo.


Anyway, yes, I signed-up and recently got a note saying I could buy an Echo.

So, what the heck does it do? As I type this I'm listening to my local station, WNIS, 790AM. Yep, you can listen to the radio and to music. The music I believe is from the Prime music library. Also, Alexa uses iHeartRadio.

You can also use a shopping list and a to-do list. Alexa, add milk to my shopping list. Alexa, add pay the phone bill to the to-do list. BTW, forgot to mention....you talk to or speak to Alexa. Yep, and, there's also a remote unit if you aren't near the Echo.

Now, another cool thing. You can download a free application to your Kindle Fire and see your lists and your back and forth with Alexa.

There's also an alarm system. Kind of neat if you have something on the stove, want to leave the kitchen, and then be reminded to check the food.

So, how does it work, exactly? Dang, I'm not sure. You wake-up, or get the attention of, the Echo by saying, Alexa. You then tell her? what you want her to do. 

Yes, she can do math and look-up stuff. I think she uses Wikipedia. I'm a lousy speller. Alexa isn't. 

I'm sure there's a bunch-more stuff Alexa can do. However, just listening to music, news, the lists and alarm, as far as I'm concerned, would be worth the $99. And, of course, Amazon will be adding to the functions. BTW, yes, I have an-old-persons' hearing and Alexa sounds pretty-darn good even from eight or ten feet.

Edit: Here's a link to Echo on Wikipedia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment