The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Friday, January 8, 2016

Have I Found the Perfect Musical Instrument? Well, for Me at Least, I Might Have.....

All photos courtesy, Strumstick.
I've always been in awe of and envious of folks who can play music. And, over the years I've tried to learn several instruments.

At six I had accordion lessons and I still have the accordion though haven't played it in years. When I was 30 I took piano lessons for a few months.

I've always had a few harmonicas around. Don't play them well, though can play simple tunes but still can't bend notes.

About eight years ago I bought my first ukulele. Since that time, off and on, with varying degrees of enthusiasm and commitment, I've tried to play them. Frankly, I can barely go from one chord to another with any smoothness. But, hey, I do have eleven ukuleles.

A few weeks ago, I bought a dulcimer. Yes, definitely an impulse purchase. I had listened to a talk radio station that featured a dulcimer player. Wow, it sounded great. Yes, to the Internet and two days later one was on the way. Dulcimers are like harmonicas, they are diatonic. They have only white keys. No sharps or flats (well, there's the 6 1/2 I think it's called). They have four strings, two are doubled-up (my term), and the simplicity is that you can just fret the melody strings while strumming all four strings. And, they sound pretty cool. Yes, I like my dulcimer.
Yes, this is a Strumstick....
Looking around on YouTube for information about dulcimers, I happened across the Strumstick. Wow, it was amazing. It's basically a dulcimer, with three strings, that's held and played like a guitar. And, yes, I bought one. There was a $40 off, so I bought an upgraded "G" with Padouk wood. It is well made and I have no buyer's remorse. 

Yes, I'm strumming away and having a great time. OK, yes, I'm still talentless! But, it's fun to plunk away on my Strumstick. 

There are many instruments available similar to the Strumstick, so why did I pick the Strumstick? I would imagine that most similarly-priced instruments would be well made and provide years of music-playing pleasure. One thing that impressed me about Strumstick was their website, both the professional appearance and the vast amount of information about their products and many videos about how to play the Strumstick.  

Yes, I've spent a few bucks in my pursuit of trying to find something I can make music with. I've finally found the instrument that has allowed me to immediately have fun and enjoyment just plunking away. 

I've learned one song and am working on Bonaparte's Retreat, that's featured here. Yes, this is going to take a while.

You other talentless (and, talented) folks out there might want to consider a Strumstick: reasonably priced, great quality and well made, portable, and you can start making noise immediately.

Lest you think this is a toy, take a look at YouTube. Here are some links.









No comments:

Post a Comment