The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Jason, A Ray of Light and Beacon of Hope in the Digital-Age Jungle.......

Needed a real phone. I'd been using a pay-as-you go phone but my phone needs changed.

Found an unlimited calling service for $20 a month, About two weeks later I still hadn't used the phone. In fact, I now had two phones. On a Friday evening I was told that they were turning it over to the IT department and it'd be 12 to 72 hours. The following Tuesday morning I sent them an email. When I didn't hear back I sent them a note saying I was "quiting." Yes, giving up on their company.

Back to the Internet. Quick trip to K-Mart. Back home with a $25 phone and a few minutes later, connected to PureTalk for $24 a month.

Then I found myself needing an Internet service. Decided I wanted a hot spot connection. Back to the Internet. Signed-up for a service and two GBs. Didn't like that it would take at least seven days. Oh, well.

Last night decided I wanted to buy five GBs instead of the two. Called the company. Waited 15 minutes or so and got shuffled around and then got cut off before speaking with anyone. Called back and ironically got the salesman who I had bought the service from. I asked how much five GBs would be. He said he didn't know and he only handled new accounts. Yes, he knew, I had bought the service from him.

You surely know how much five GBs cost! Tell me how much!

He gave me a price.

I have one more question.

And, he transfered me.

That did it.

Sent them a note cancelling my order.

Called my local T-Mobile. A few minutes later I'm at their store and Jason, a delightful and knowledgeable young man, had me fixed-up with T-Moble's hot spot. He installed the SIM card for me and when I got home I had my new Internet service working in a couple of minutes. Thank you, Jason and T-Mobile.

The drama continues.

Called FedEx to cancel the order (the Internet service). Was on hold about 20 minutes. They told me I'd have to call USPS as it was being transferred to them.

This morning I started again. Yes, a 15 minute wait. Told USPS what I wanted to do. They said I needed the USPS tracking number, not the FedEx tracking number.

Another 15/20 minutes waiting at FedEx and I have the USPS tracking number.

About 20 minutes more and I talking to USPS again. Oh, no. You can't cancel the shipment!!!!!! Only the company can. Why wasn't I told this when I called earlier????? Anyway, USPS apologized......

Well, folks, What have I learned from this? The next time I need something digital, I'm going to see Jason. If any local folks read this, you can reach Jason at 455-5804.

And, so it goes.


2 comments:

  1. For a phone I use MagicJack. Paid $60 for 5 years of service. What is interesting, no robo calls. Not sure why, but it's great. Also, I can use the MagicJack anywhere. If I am in Europe, still get my calls like I am home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    As always, thanks for stopping by and thanks for your comment. Interesting.

    http://www.magicjack.com/how-it-works.html

    Regards,

    George

    ReplyDelete