The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Friday, April 11, 2014

"Finally, A Huckster Scoundrel Has Been Removed From Society"

OK, folks, I can't get these photos where I want them. Sorry. And, yes, you can rightly ask what does this have to do with traveling around Virginia? Actually, nothing...well, most likely, other than the fact that many Virginians bought these books. Bear with me, please.

There have been conspiracy theories around forever. That's our nature and they will be around forever.

One of the first I remember was the magic carburetor. Let's see. When I first started driving, getting $ .50 worth of gas was fairly normal. If I had big bucks and felt flush, heck I might even get a dollar's worth. When I first started driving gas was definitely under $ .20 a gallon. And, my '39 Ford most likely got OK gas mileage. Can't remember. Anyway, from time-to-time I'd hear about the 100 MPG carburetor. Yep, someone had designed a carburetor that by bolting it on your engine, you'd get at least 100 miles per gallon. Wow, think about that. 100 mpg! And, yes, many of us believed it.

Why couldn't we buy the carburetor? Well, yes, you are right, the oil companies bought the rights to the carburetor and that was that. Yep, the oil companies wanted to sell us gas....and they wanted to sell it to us as often as possible. Obviously, a 100 mpg carburetor would really cut into their profits.

I'm hoping you all see the obvious problems with this conspiracy theory!

First off, let's think about this for a few seconds.

(1) Wouldn't this inventor want his/her name known and receive the accolades and recognition that an invention like this would bring?

(2) If the inventor was mercenary and only wanted the big bucks, couldn't they make as much or more by selling the carburetors than being bought off by the big oil companies?

(3) Is it possible that this inventor was trying to design this carburetor to help the rest of us to reduce our gas bills? 

(4) The physics of it all. Is it possible?

(5) And, lastly, would this person be the only one who is working on an invention of this type? Of course not. And, if this was possible, how long before someone else came out with a similar carburetor?

I have no idea how many conspiracy theories are out there. Sadly, there are many.

Last summer I spoke for a few minutes with a waitress. Yep, I was eating lunch. Here's what I learned in just a few minutes. She was starting at one of of local schools in the fall. She was pre-med. Yep, she wanted to be an anesthesiologist.

Her last year of high school she had a tutor who was a doctor. No, I did not find out what kind of doctor. However, the doctor told her that all of the nurses and doctors at our local hospital, Norfolk General Hospital, knew that there are cancer treatments available using natural substances that no one knows about. Why, because Big Pharma doesn't want this information to get out to the public.

Folks, this doesn't speak well for us.

I won't even comment on this.

On to Kevin Trudeau. Yes, he's been around almost forever with the variations of the same scam. What they won't tell you or let you know. Pick a topic and he's covered it.

Eight or so years ago I was browsing the books at Sam's Club. A lady joined me and grabbed a copy of Trudeau's latest book.

Ma'am, I don't mean to rude; however, do you know that he's been convicted of felonies and has served time for fraud?

Yes.

Do you know that there is almost nothing in his book that will help you with any of your ailments.

Well....

Sorry I disturbed you, ma'am.

Back to Trudeau. I'll spare you the long story. The short version; he just started serving a ten-year sentence. I read the prosecutor's truly lengthy sentencing recommendation.
It makes for interesting reading. Often times, when I see people in a jam, well...you know what I mean, there is some sympathy at times on my part. However, though I'm not going to light candles or throw a party, this fellow really deserves this. Yes, it's nice to have him put away. Let's see if he can continue with his scams from prison.

1 comment:

  1. As seen on TV! I guess that's why it's called the moron-o-scope. Unfortunately much of the internet is becoming the same wasteland of useless links to crap you don't need. Yes, this piece of work is in jail but how many others are waiting to take his place. Unfortunately dumb asses are always looking for the easy fix, wether about money, weight or love. Folks, use your head, life in moderation and you'll be fine.

    --Mark

    ReplyDelete