The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Yikes, I Ended-Up in North Carolina........

This is in North Carolina.
An overcast, gray-looking day, but I wanted to go somewhere. Maybe just a short drive?
It'd been about 25 years since I'd driven 17 South, a mainly two-lane road that parallels the Dismal Swamp. I found lots of traffic and also miles of under construction, with those darn barrels everywhere.

When I finally started along 17 where it picked-up the Swamp, it wasn't exactly as I remembered it. Oh, well..... Most things aren't as I remember them.








The Pathway to Freedom refers to the Underground Railway. Yes, this is 2014 and I'd bet we in the South are ongoingly doing a brisk business with the sales of everything-Confederate.
Virginia and North Carolina both have extensive hiking trails. And, both have centers. Not sure about NC but Virginia has tours.

My visit was cut short when the rain started. There was a couple of other places I wanted to take a look. Also, of course the place was closed down because, yes, it's Easter folks. Hope you all are having a great Easter.

So, that was basically my day. I went as far as South Mills, NC hoping to find a mom and pop type restaurant. No such luck. Sadly, ended-up coming home and having to face my cooking. Dang.

Gone a few hours, 79 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment