The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What a Terrific Day! Weather Perfect but Second Place to the Terrific Folks Whom I Met. And, a Visit to Kiptopeke State Park and Cape Charles.



What a great day. Can't think of anything that could have made it better.

Put my EZ Pass on and it worked! Pretty cool. I think I saved about eight bucks. One way is $13 and if you return within 24 hours and have an EZ Pass the return trip is (I think) $5. What a deal.

My first stop was on the Bridge Tunnel. Didn't go in the restaurant, just took a few snaps, most of which I'm not using.






The next stop was at the welcome center to the right just after getting off the Bridge Tunnel. Picked-up more brochures, yes, just what I need, more stuff.




































Next I went to Kiptopeke State Park. That's where the love chairs are. Actually, they looked a mite shabby. Hmmm..... Think a fresh coat of paint would perk them up. Hey, just like what we call love, yes, sometimes it gets a little shabby and needs attention. Too bad a little paint can't fix the vagaries of romance.






















This photo I think rates the worst of the day status. Yes, it's heavily cropped which doesn't help. Anyway, those brownish blobs are concrete ships from WWII. Yes, we used ships made out of concrete. Amazing, of course I'm still amazed that in my trailer I can use propane to make the refrigerator cold. (BTW, if you click on this photo, you can sort of see the ships.)















OK, now I'm getting to the good part of the day. Many, many years ago I went to a movie at the Palace theater. Yes, many years ago. Two things I remember. The first is that prior to the movie starting they put a message on the screen. In a nice way they said, If you talk we're gonna kick your ass out. The second thing, after the movie had been on for 15 minutes or so, they boxed up all of the leftover popcorn and went through the theater giving it away. Now, top that!

So, anyway, there's a lady and a couple of gentlemen, standing near the theater talking. When I started snapping away the lady asked if I had any questions. Soooooo, I told my story about the popcorn. She led me into the Stage Door Gallery which is next door, and the ladies in there took me into the theater and even turned some of the lights on. They also explained the changes they'd made since I had been there. Just absolutely delightful folks-I mean really delightful, pleasant, charming, gentile, and accommodating.
We sat around and talked a few minutes and I'm sure I exhibited my boring oafish behavior.


Anyway, I asked where I could get good flounder (the restaurant where I'd eaten before, Rebecca's, had closed about ten years ago).


One of the ladies grabbed a phone and checked with the Shanty restaurant and confirmed that yes, they had flounder.
She then drew me a map. Thanks again ladies. Thanks Mary, Mary Ann, and Robin. What great ambassadors for your city.

This is a lousy photo of the Stage Door Gallery. They have every kind of art you can imagine. And, it's all run by primarily, if not all, volunteers. What a fine group of ladies. Here's the link to the gallery:  http://www.stagedoorgallery.com/index.html


The Shanty restaurant of Cape Charles




What a day so far and it continued on. This is Adria who is the perfect waitress. Ironically, she used to work at Rebecca's. Anyway, she suggested fish and chips (flounder), said their coffee sucked, but said the ice tea was good. She steered me right. Yes, she also told me a little about the restaurant, which has been open about three years. A delightful young lady and I'm sure an asset to the business. What a great way to end my little getting-out-of-town adventure.

What did I learn today...well, about my so-called project and the blue highways? My photos ain't all that good. Also, I should have asked if I could have taken photos in the gallery. I know that some artists don't like their work photographed. Also, there's a cool water tower in Cape Charles that's painted to look like a lighthouse and I didn't get a photo of that. And, lastly there are some neat shops in Cape Charles and I should have spent a few minutes walking around town. Ironically, I had headed to Exmore to eat at the Exmore Diner.  For some reason, about two miles past the Cape Charles turn off I turned around and went to Cape Charles. Unknowingly, at the time, I made a good decision for once. 

Also, need to be more careful about when to use the macro function. Yep, should have most likely used it for the photo of the flounder basket.

Left home about 9:30AM and was gone about 4/5 hours. Total miles 80.



A little aversion therapy, cautionary tale,  or some such thing. DON'T GET OLD! You've been warned.

Actually, do I look a little like Hemingway? Dang, too bad I don't have a little of his talent.


Speaking of Hemingway, here's one of his famous quotes.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Basically, what he said was that if you can't get killed it's just a game.


BTW, and I surely don't mean this in a negative or derogatory way. I have often thought of Cape Charles as a town where at any hour of the day or night, you could walk across the main street without "looking" and the worse thing that would happen to you is you'd get run into by a dog.

That's a compliment, folks....


No comments:

Post a Comment