The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Neat Writing Kit for Writers and Want-To-Be Writers Who Hit the Road......


Well, here's a set-up that you writing folks might appreciate. Yes, this is the 7" Kindle Fire and Amazon's keyboard. So far it seems to be working OK. One complaint (so far) is that there's no delete key. There may be something else that might work but I haven't taken the time to look. There were several keyboard options. Many were a little smaller and seemed cramped. This keyboard seems about as easy to use as my laptop. Plus, if I have a problem I know it will be resolved by Amazon without hassle. The note-taking software that's in the photo is Notepad. You may notice the ad at the bottom of the page. For $ .99 you can get the software without the ads. There are several note-taking type applications that are free. There is also what seems to be a complete Microsoft-office-type application that's free. I want to keep it really simple. I may try a couple more of the simple no-frill applications before deciding on one that I'm going to permanently use. My plans are just to type away and every so often send the text as an email. It's painless....a couple of keys and it's in your mail box. Then of course just copy/paste to your computer. Well, I just now learned something. Yep, the note taker wasn't working correctly (will spare you the details). So, I changed the batteries and that fixed it. I had failed to turn the keyboard off and I guess it's been on almost a week. Yes, turn the keyboard off when you aren't using it.

Now, if I can just get on the road again and use this thing.

At the risk of being a shill for Amazon, I think this set-up is great. The Kindle Fire's are way down in price. OK, I just checked. It seems one my size is as low as $139, I think mine's the HD which is now $229. The keyboard is about $30. Soooo, for about $260 you'll be all set. In case you don't know, of course you can use the Fire for Internet and all kinds of "stuff." 

Note: 28MM lens used. Things closer to the camera look
bigger in proportion to things further from the camera. 
















Also, if you are a Prime member you can watch a trillion moves and music and no-telling what else. And, you get a free book each month. Oh, well. Anyway, this is surely an easy way to be able to write while you're on the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment