The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Isle of Man (IOM) Tourist Trophy Races.....

Yep, a photo taken two years ago. This is on another of my
go-nowhere-adventure blogs. Dang, I'm looking really old.

For years I've followed the IOM races. In fact, there was a time many years ago that I'd somewhat joked about wanting to race there. Yes, that was many, many, years ago.

My fascination with IOM is something that I can't quite explain.  And, for some unknown reason recently I've spent hours looking at videos and reading about the races and the racers.

The race is a killer. Period. This year, 2014, there were two racers who died. I believe it's called Mad Sunday when the public is allowed out on the course. Deaths of the non-racers during Mad Sunday are not that unusual.

The course I'm speaking of is a lap around the island of the Isle of Man. The course is 37.7 miles long and goes through towns, cities, and villages. Yes, on public highways and roads.

I've raced motorcycles, some. I had three pretty-full seasons of short-track racing, mainly on 1/4 dirt tracks. Also, have road raced, some. I doubt if I had 15 road races....most likely closer to ten. But, I raced enough to have some idea of what it's like...and, yes, did find out what it's like to fall on asphalt. Falling on dirt was a given. 




Though many attribute the following to Ernest Hemingway,  "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games," there is disagreement.

Have you ever been over 130 mph on a motorcycle? Have you ever had to memorize a course with over 200 corners? Well, folks the present lap record at the IOM is 132 mph. Yes, an average of 132. Top speeds are close to 200 mph. It is truly not for the faint of heart.


And, I guess the question is, why would anyone want to race at the IOM?

I've seen several interviews with the riders and they all mention the dangerousness of the course....and, many if not most, mention the possibility of death as an attraction.

Joey Dunlop is one of the best known IOM riders. Joey died at 48 racing in Estonia. There were 50,000 people at his funeral. Joey's brother Robert died racing and presently two of Robert's sons are racing the IOM.

It would seem that there is an attraction that many of the riders succumb to or cannot overcome. I surely, have no idea. I do know that what little racing I did, I couldn't wait to get back out there again. There's just something about it that's hard to describe and understand.

Of course, I wasn't racing at over 160 mpg through a village square with absolutely no room for error. None. There are no minor crashes at the IOM.

This will give you some idea of what the IOM is like. This one is pretty good, also.


If you're interested in the IOM, watch this interview with Guy Martin.  Guy Martin is quite the character. He really is. He holds several speed records, including fastest on a sled, yes, a snow sled. I think he also holds the record for fastest on a bike. Yes, a bicycle. And, he holds the record for riding a motorcycle the longest distance on water. 

A former racing pal from many years ago, Richard P., referred to motorcycle racing as, A ballet of death. Yes, he was saying it jokingly.


You folks be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment