The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

AM DXing and the Crazies* Come Out Late at Night.........

OK, I borrowed this image......
Let's see....how did this posting start?

OK, for some reason I became interested in AM DXing. The folks who are interested in DXing search around for stations on the AM dial looking to bring in stations from long distances. I guess the challenge is to listen to stations as far away as possible. Yep, these folks record the information. In addition to trying to find the furthest station, of course you'll be able to listen to other cultures and receive news from around the world.

Many folks who do this use cheap or low-cost radios. The challenge seems to be to listen to these stations using only the most basic equipment. 

Anyway, I recently bought a few of these radios. Tonight, for the first time I sought out some stations. Ironically, the first station that popped-up was a local station, WNIS 790. Wow, did it bring back memories.

Many, many years ago, most likely 8/10, I worked the 4pm to midnight shift. One night on the way home I listened to AM and happened across WNIS which was broadcasting Coast to Coast AM. Wow, is all I can say. OK, keep in mind I'm trying to remember from many years ago. There are several broadcasts that I'll never forget.


The first night there was a gentleman who called in and related the following. In the '60s there was a meeting of the star nations and all of the world's major powers; US, England, France, Russia, China, and so on. Yes, this meeting was in London. Why the meeting?

The star nations were concerned about being shot at. Yes, when they would visit in their space ships we were shooting at them.

Folks, as I often say, I ain't cool enough to make this stuff up.

Anyway, one of the representatives had the form of a praying mantis. Honest, folks, that's what the gentleman said. And, of course no one saw this representative getting out of the long limousine with tinted windows. OK, enough of this one.



Radio is only $10. Works great on 
AM/FM. Haven't tried the SW yet.
 


Moth-men....  Fellow called in and reported that one night he had been parked and a moth-man happened by. He sped off in his car and the mothman hovered over his car at 80 miles an hour. (Not sure of the correct spelling.)

Ah, yes, there was the Thunderbird night. Yes, a fellow called in and reported he sees them somewhat regularly when he fishes at a certain lake. Said they try to conceal themselves by standing upright, folding their wings at their sides, and remaining still. The caller said they look like trees.



This is a good one. The guest for the evening was a fellow who travels the country putting on energy healing workshops. A caller said he had attended one of his workshops. The caller then went on to say.... His small town, (I think somewhere in Michigan, Minnesota, or Wisconsin) had a large lake that was polluted. The town didn't have enough money to have the lake cleaned. No problem, evidently, as this fellow said he went to the lake and within a few seconds, yes, seconds, using the energy healing stuff, he cleaned-up the lake.

Ouija boards? anyone? Yes, another good one. This as I best remember was by the host, George Noory. Remember few details other than everyone, the listeners, were all going to get out their Ouija boards at the same time. As I said, remember few details, other than at the last minute, George said they weren't going to do it because the risks were too great. Hey, maybe the world would blow-up...heck, I don't know.



(It's 6/28/'14 4:26am, and yes, I'm listening to the station. Absolutely amazing.) Tonight they are calling in about their abductions and travels to other planets, and on and on.


The folks in the know say this is one of the
best cheap radios for DXing. 
Anyway, to wrap this up. I told a co-worker about this station and what the folks were talking about. She listened, and said, George, it's a satire...no one would believe that stuff.

Well, folks, sadly it's not a satire. Sadly, folks believe this stuff. Yes, I could go on and on and speculate why folks believe, but...I will leave that for another time. Hey, at least tune in for a few minutes.


These radios available from Amazon as well as other sellers.
   

EDIT: BTW, if you have an interest in DXing, here are a couple of sites with information.


http://www.dxing.com/amband.htm       

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXing                 

Here's a link for a review of the Sony SRF-59. Yep, there's a consensus that this is one of the best cheap radios to start DXing....      

EDIT: Would appreciate you voting in the poll. Right side of blog at the top. Thanks!        

* Well, I guess I could make the argument to not use the word, crazies. It sounds as though I'm making fun of. And actually, I'm not. But, I did use the word. Unless these folks reporting the stories that I mentioned above are just trying to fit in and are fabricating them, then it's reasonable to assume that they actually believe the stories they tell...they believe they happened. If that's the case, they are at least delusional. My quick definition of delusional is a false belief easily refuted by evidence or lack of evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment