The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

I Want to be Your Friend....Sure!

I just read on CNN that a man is going to visit his 700-plus friends. Yes, his Facebook friends.
I joined Facebook, I believe May 22nd, a couple of years ago. I learned that someone was soliciting cartoons of Mohammed. Yep, that Mohammed. As I best remember, this was in protest of all of the violent events that happened after a cartoon was published in a Danish (I think) newspaper.

Well, I had to join in-order to see the cartoons, and, yes, I did join.

Pretty soon, as if by magic I'm getting emails and such saying so-and-so wants to be my friend.

No, I'm not naive enough to think they really want to be my friend. You know, the old saying, A friend is someone who will help you move. A "real friend" is someone who will help you bury the bodies. Yes, I knew they didn't want to be that kind of friend.

I don't remember clicking on anything that would make someone my friend; however, the next thing is my Facebook place is being bombarded with photos, notes, and requests to be friends. And, then, I think they started sending out requests to be friends of friends of friends. Dang! Anyway, I am no longer a Facebook kind of guy; in fact, I don't guess that I ever was. I was able to disengage or something, though it didn't seem that I had actually quit. You know, get rid of the site as if I'd never been there. Dang, I think once you sign up they have you forever. Sort of the digital equivalent of making a pact with the Devil.

BTW, the pup you see in the snap is not my friend. In fact, she's an albatross in a dog costume. I often say, the proof that there is a god is this dog. Yep, she's a triflin'- ass mutt that god sent to aggravate me. Of course, she does have her moments when she's pretty nice and tries to be a good pal. Though, admittedly, they are infrequent.

Edit: BTW, I'm the one with the glasses.
                                                                                                             

2 comments:

  1. I'll be your friend...with or without glasses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lou,

      Thanks for stopping by. Will you help me bury the bodies?

      Regards,

      George

      Delete