The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

My First Mini-Trip In My New Ride. A Pleasant Day, But Also An Hour Or So When I Was Quite Emotional (for lack of a better word).


Had no idea where I was going when I left home. Decided to head for Suffolk and take Highway 58. It was a tad warm, the temperature in the mid-high 80s.

Tons of traffic (Virginia Beach, Virginia...Saturday). Folks who don't live here coming here and many of us who live here gettin' outta Dodge.

I often go out 58 and then go north on 460 toward Waverly and Wakefield. Today, I went past the 460 turnoff and headed north on a highway the number of which I do not remember.

Then back on 58 and went further west and hopped off on another road headed north.

I then saw a sign: Albert G. Horton, Jr., Memorial Veterans Cemetery, Suffolk, Virginia.

I had never heard of this cemetery and frankly had no preconceived idea about what I would find. Though for some reason, I imagined it would be small and possibly not well-cared for.

I was surely wrong on both accounts. When I made the turn on the street that paralleled the cemetery I was amazed at the number of grave markers. Being a military cemetery they were all the same size and there was line after line of them. It was about three o'clock and I was the only one visiting.

I guess I was just a little overcome with the number of tombstones. I sat on a bench for twenty minutes or so. Hmmm.... Then walked around and took a few photos. I guess I was there at least an hour.

Though, at least intellectually, most of us know we can't reach out to the dead, we often place items at the grave. That's why I took this photo of the flag. I tried to imagine how the person who placed it must of felt.

Many of us get great comfort when we visit where our loved ones are buried.







After I left the cemetery, I had a great late-lunch at Ruby Tuesdays. Perfectly grilled chicken with an interesting and spicy BBQ sauce, baked potato, and steamed broccoli. To add to my dining experience the waitress was a delightful young lady who kept my iced tea topped-up.

All in all a good day. And, yes, I'm glad I visited the cemetery. I think we need to do that from time-to-time. To think about all of the service men and women who were killed in our wars. And, to try to imagine how their friends and loved-ones felt when they learned they had died.

No buyer's remorse (yet). Filled the tank after 135 miles of 50/50...yippee, 33 MPG. My WRX was getting 16/18.

PLEASE NOTE: I just couldn't get these photos aligned properly. I thought it better to have them than not.



1 comment:

  1. How was the Ruby Tuesday? Did you have the Salad bar? My ex, Samantha, would poke fun at me for bringing up ruby tuesday's salad bar. Said I sounded "OLD" haha - Cloud

    ReplyDelete