The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Monday, March 10, 2014

If You're Ever in Virginia Beach and Need Some Booze, This is the Place to Go....

This is my favorite ABC store. All of the employees are pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful, and all seem to have a sense of humor. Not on the shelves, they'll special order it for you. They are on North Hampton Blvd., Virginia Beach.
And, you might be asking, why do I have a booze store on my blog? Well, I had planned on going to the botanical gardens today, but decided to put it off until tomorrow or the next day. As I happened by the booze store, I thought, Hey, this is in Virginia, so what's the problem.

Virginia is one of the states that has a monopoly on selling spirits. Yes, you can buy wine and beer in grocery and convenience stores, but no hard stuff. Nope, the State handles that. A year or so ago there was some talk about maybe privatizing the sales of the hard stuff. But, for the time being that seems like an idea that's been shelved (no pun intended).

So, I might pose the question, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, when you hear of a hurricane roaring up the coast or a forecast of five inches of snow, do you rush to your Kroger's or head to the ABC store? Hey, I'm joking....sort of.

I think I'll end this with one of my fifty-five word stories.





Alcohol Ain’t All That Bad

“Why do you say that?”
“You know, when you go out with the guys, have a few, it’s kinda fun.”
“OK.”
“When you’re depressed, well…a few will help.”
“And.”
“Pissed-off, angry, mad, a few will calm you down.”
“How about the four DUIs, eight DIPs, $7500 in fines, two months in jail?”
“Ain’t nuthin’ perfect.”


2 comments:

  1. thug terrorists http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/latest-news/u-va-student-sues-state-abc-agents-for-million/article_5f19d8a8-b502-11e3-ba1e-001a4bcf6878.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dat,
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Yes, it will be interesting to see how this "turns out." Obviously, there are lessons to be learned; however, as with most things in life, they'll most likely soon be forgotten.
      Regards,
      George

      Delete