The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Friday, March 28, 2014

OK, I've Got the Maps and the Membership Cards to the State and Federal Parks.....

Well, let's see, this is the third card for the National Park Service (NPS) and the second for the Virginia State Parks.


I lost or misplaced first NPS card and the second one along with the original state card were stolen out of my glove box. I live in an OK section of town and until the theft had never locked my car. Same with my next door
neighbor. Anyway, I had an old wallet that I kept in the glove box with cards that I rarely used. And, yep, the wallet was stolen. My neighbor's car and boat were gone through.  Oh, well.




The lifetime card to Virginia's state parks cost $200. Yep, two-hundred dollars. I had planned on using it to start walking at one of our local parks. Hmmmm, and that's been several years ago. Yes, I used it the day I bought it. Another unfinished project.


The NPS card is especially great for we older folks. Ten bucks and it's a lifetime card allowing free admission to all national parks. Even better is the discount. Yes, I used this on my failed trailer adventure. I stayed in a beautiful park on an island across from Pensacola. The old-person's price was ten bucks a night.

So, now folks I need to get going......

No comments:

Post a Comment