The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

First Snaps With My New Camera........

Have been wanting to get out and take a few snaps with my new camera....and, here they are.  This camera is designed for what I think is called the action sports folks; yes, those of you who ski, SCUBA, race, kayak, sky dive, and so on. It's primary purpose is to take videos though it's obviously able to take still shots.



This photo taken at Mount Trashmore, Virginia Beach, looks sort of normal. Regular tourist-type photo. Yes, regular old bland benign photo.

The photo to the right is the full-frame photo from which the above photo was cropped. The lens is advertised as having a 170-degree view, which of course we'd call a fish-eye lens. The curving of the lamp post is normal for this type of lens.










Full- frame, uncropped photo.  Seems to be fairly sharp considering the low-cost of the camera. Well, it's sharp enough for me.





Ahh, yes, a church. Yes, there is another story here, that I hope to cover in more detail
some time. The photo to the right is a statue of a witch. Yes, a witch. Well, at least the good church folks claimed she was a witch. It's a full-frame photo with no cropping. Though you can't see the hospital, this statue is on the property of Bayside Hospital, Virginia Beach.

Back to the camera. Based on just this brief outing, I have no buyer's remorse.

The camera is quick to set-up and you do have some control on exposure over/under. Yes, it's a fixed-focus lens. As I said, it's primarily used for videos. Nothing complicated, just snap away. The camera is so tiny that you have to be careful of having camera movement. It has an anti-shake feature that I had turned on.  For me, these snaps are fine and I have no complaints. For this type of camera, at a little less than one-hundred dollars, it seems like a real bargain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment