The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

To Add a Little Levity, A Benign Humorous Story That Actually Happened.....

Yes, this is from my trip to Lynnhaven Fish House...
Five or six years ago, I stayed at a motel in a small college town in West Virginia. In fact, the motel had hosted a meeting of world leaders, so it was far from a shabby stay-for-twenty-bucks a night place.

Anyway, went to the dining room for dinner. Just outside the doors to the dining room was a short counter. There were a couple of people behind the counter. As I best remember, the conversation went something like this...

The person who seemed to be the manager, said, 
“Hi, are you here for dinner?”

“Yes.”

“Well, would you mind checking back with us later?”

I thought that was kind of odd. Anyway, I walked a few feet and looked in the dining room. Can't remember how many tables total, but there were at least six or so that were cleaned off and empty. So, I'm thinking, what in the heck is going on?

“Listen; there are several tables that are empty. I don't want to go back up stairs and then check with you later. If you all are, well...running a little behind or something that's fine. Just seat us, bring us some coffee, and then take your time.”

So, yes, we got a table. The waitress brought us coffee. The weird thing was they didn't seem to be backed-up or anything. In fact, the waitress promptly took our order and the food came out in a reasonable time. And, the food was fine; quite tasty, in fact.

As we walked by the counter after finishing our meal, the manager was still there.

“By the way, it's not important, but I thought I'd let you know I'm the food editor for the Baltimore Sun.”

Then I smiled. They looked at each other and...well...the manager I think was saying to himself, "Oh, $%&X."

An hour or so later, I went back down to the restaurant, held out my hand to the manager and as we shook hands, I said,"Hey, I was kidding, I'm not the food editor for The Sun."

He got a big grin on his face and seemed relieved. I guess there was a lesson to be learned. 



Note: Posted April 2013 on another of my blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment