The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Well, I Can't Seem to Get Away From Radios....

If anyone happens to read this, I'll assume you most likely didn't have times as this photo depicts.

Yes, I remember sitting in the floor looking at the radio.

Obviously, I'm trying to remember back many years ago, and I'm sure my recollections are somewhat colored by the passage of time and whatever failings my memory may have.


My first radio, I'm almost positive came from Western Auto and according to what I just found on the Internet, the brand may have been Truetone. I just tried to find a Truetone radio that would be similar to the one I had, but no luck. However, this is close. 

Mine was a deep maroon and all metal. It may have been portable but I'm sure it worked on AC as I got I got shocked several times.

Also, remember grounding it to a radiator. Just searched the web and found mention of that. Not sure if it was for an antenna or a ground.

Back to radios and listening.



Each day when I came home from school, I'd tune in. Some programs I remember are Gang Busters, Captain Midnight, and of course, The Shadow.


Ahh, yes, then there was the secret decoder ring. I’m sure it was the Ovaltine Company that promoted them. Yep, send off a little money and get the special ring.

For some reason I think there were other rings, though I could be wrong. I remember one that had a compartment to hide a secret message and maybe even had a magnifying glass. Yes, those rings were magic. Well, to a seven or eight year old, they were. 

Cut the tether to your TV. Unshackle yourself from the mindlessness of The Tube.

Get your radios out folks and have a listen. Yes, sit back and relax and take it easy. Have a radio evening for a change. You'll feel better. Honest.


I just discovered this station. They play music from 1920-1950. OK, I’m an old guy and find it relaxing and entertaining. According to their website, you might be able to listen to them regardless of where you are. Yes, I admit, I know nothing about the streaming stuff. They are located in Chesapeake, Virginia and I can tune them in on my radio.


Give the radio a chance. If nothing more, tune into your local NPR and stop the aural and visual assault of your TV. It's painless, honest. Give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. Remember crystal radios? Every kid made one. Also required clipping to the radiator or water pump. No battery necessary. I am a bit younger than you (64), so I missed the classic radio serials, did catch the birth of TV which was really modeled on a similar concept. However, over the last 60 years it's turned into a wasteland. I could not agree more about turning off the Moron-O-Scope. As for streaming, lots of good stuff out their. One favorite of mine is Librivox; free readings of public domain books. Check out Wind In The Willows for so,e of the best writing ever, great reader as well. Anyway, great post, gets one remembering.

    Take care, --Mark

    Ps, Saw something funny yesterday; did you every wonder if the Earth was just a reality show for Aliens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Mark.

      ".... did you every wonder if the Earth was just a reality show for Aliens?"

      Well, though I haven't been to a zoo in years as I don't like to see animals caged.....I have often thought, maybe the primates are in a cage to stay away from us. Yes, we are really on display, not them. Or, something like that.

      Also, makes me think of The Planet of the Apes, yes, when they hunted us...

      And, so it goes....

      George

      Delete