The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

I Have a Personal Relationship With God! Honest, I Do.

Disclaimer of sorts. I am an atheist and do not believe in Gods! Period. That said, anything about religion is the Christian
religion which I know something about. Not much, granted. And, yes, I will capitalize God.

OK, I'm in a somewhat of a ticked off mood. That said, how often do we hear folks say, I have a personal relationship with God?


What in the heck does that mean?

You guys are on the same bowling team?

You guys chase chicks together?

He brought a casserole to your last PTA meeting?

He attended your wedding?

He bought a bunch of Girl Scout cookies from your daughter?

He helped jump-start your car?

For almost twenty years I worked with the seriously mentally ill. Sadly, many of those folks were obsessed with God. With some of them, I often wondered which came first? The mental illness that produced their obsession with God or their belief in God that produced their mental illness.


Many years ago I had a co-worker who mentioned that she had a personal relationship with God. She wore a cross necklace and always had a Bible with her. She was a terrific case manager who worked with the mentally ill. I enjoyed having her as a co-worker. Other than the religious crap, she was a delightful lady. I considered her a good coworker and friend.

Do you have a personal relationship with God? What does that mean? It's not unusual for politicians to say they talk to God. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment