The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Yes, I Wrote to the Virginia Board of Medicine!!!!

As I sit here at midnight, January 26, 2018, I wonder what the heck I am doing. I swore a week or so ago researching Paltrow and her bullshit website Goop that has every whacky thing you can think of that I would never post again. I learned about it when I found her latest was a $135 coffee enema. Yes, a $135 coffee enema. I told myself, enough is enough.

At 78, how many more days do I have and how much time do I want to piss away on this stuff with few people actually reading what I have to say.

OK, and then I decided I was going to write the Virginia Board of Medicine. And, here I am again.

Below you will find my letter to them and their response. Was I surprised by their response? Sadly, no. But, I was disappointed.

Our mission is to ensure safe and competent patient care by licensing health professionals, enforcing standards of practice, and providing information to health care practitioners and the public.

Yes, that's the mission of the BOM.

Wow, she sure did respond with a lot of red text.

Not sure how I will proceed. But, there are only so many ways.

I am definitely going to reply to the BOM. Hmm, just trying to figure out exactly and what I am going to say, not that it will make much difference.


As my letter stated, I asked about so-called Applied Kinesiology. This is bullshit ladies and gentlemen. Take a look here and here.

There is no doubt that this is the worst of the worst pseudoscientific BS. And, yet, as many as 30 percent of chiropractors use this crap! And, the BOM is looking out for us?

Though I do not know this to be true, it would seem as though the BOM knows that chiropractors are using this crap and just don't care or think that it's OK. It's one or the other...and, that's truly sad and inexcusable.

What follows is my letter to the BOM and their response.


Dear Mr. Callender:
You are correct the Board of Medicine does not license naturopaths and so has no jurisdiction over them as they are private citizens not regulated by the Board. Naturopaths have petitioned the Virginia legislature in the past asking to be licensed by Virginia and have failed to get the legislation through.  You may wish to make you feelings known to the legislature regarding naturopaths.
The Board of Medicine does have jurisdiction over chiropractors and if you have a complaint against a specific chiropractor, you may file it at this link:

Jennie F. Wood
Case Manager, Discipline & Compliance
Virginia Board of Medicine
Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia  23233
804-367-4571;  Fax-804-527-4429

ANY AND ALL STATEMENTS PROVIDED HEREIN SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED AS AN OFFICIAL POLICY, POSITION, OPINION, OR STATEMENT OF THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF MEDICINE (VBOM). VBOM STAFF CANNOT AND DO NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE. VBOM STAFF PROVIDES ASSISTANCE TO THE PUBLIC BY PROVIDING REFERENCE TO VBOM STATUTES AND REGULATIONS; HOWEVER, ANY SUCH ASSISTANCE PROVIDED BY VBOM STAFF SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION, NOR SHALL ANY SUCH ASSISTANCE BE CONSTRUED TO COMMUNICATE ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION OR OCCUPATION. PLEASE CONSULT AN ATTORNEY REGARDING ANY LEGAL QUESTIONS RELATED TO STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS, INCLUDING THE INTERPRETATION AND APPLICATION OF THE LAWS AND REGULATIONS OF VBOM.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL VBOM, ITS MEMBERS, OFFICERS, AGENTS, OR EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR ANY ACTIONS TAKEN OR OMISSIONS MADE IN RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS EMAIL.


From: George Callender [mailto:george238c@juno.com] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:55 PM
To: Wood, Jennie (DHP) <Jennie.Wood@DHP.VIRGINIA.GOV>
Subject:

Dear Ms. Wood,

Well, at 78 I guess you could say I'm circling the drain. I've been meaning to write this letter for years, so here goes.

Why are so-called naturopaths allowed to hang up their shingles, refer to themselves as doctors, and diagnose and treat our citizens? Yes, I checked and thankfully they are not licensed (yet).   

Here are some of the things that they advertise that they use: Bach Flowers, reflexology, homeopathy, iridology. AK, and so on. Actually, they could challenge the chiropractors for who has the most proven-to-not work techniques.

Obviously, someone at the Board of Medicine knows this is going on. Why is it allowed? 


My favorite folks, chiropractors. Many chiropractors use applied kinesiology and yes, I know the BOM is aware of this. Why is this allowed? 

Anyone with an IQ above room temperature knows that AK is pseudoscientific BS. Poses two questions. Chiropractors using AK either know it doesn't work or actually think it works. In either case, their license should be revoked.


Here are some links to Virginia chiropractors who use AK and their claims about the benefits.




The average citizen in our state makes certain assumptions when they seek medical care. The main thing they assume is that if our state grants someone a medical license that they must be OK. That is, that they are using proven methods of diagnosing and treating disease. That they are knowledgeable about medicine and are not taking advantage of us by using bogus treatments. That is not the case, Ms. Wood.

I guess I could sum up my letter by asking two questions. Why is the BOM allowing so-called naturopaths to call themselves doctors and treat our citizens? My second question is this, why is the BOM allowing chiropractors to use modalities (for lack of a better word) that have been proven to not work and not provide any medical benefit?

In closing, I hope you and yours had a great Christmas and holiday season and I wish you all a best-ever new year in 2018.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading my letter and I look forward to your response. 

Respectfully, I remain....

Sincerely,

George 

PS. Seems these are violated.

18VAC85-20-28.  Practitioner-patient communication; termination of relationship. 

  1. Except as provided in § 32.1-127.1:03 F of the Code of Virginia, a practitioner shall accurately inform a patient or his legally authorized representative of his medical diagnoses, prognosis and prescribed treatment or plan of care. A practitioner shall notdeliberately make a false or misleading statement regarding the practitioner’s skill or the efficacy or value of a medication, treatment, or procedure prescribed or directed by the practitioner in the treatment of any disease or condition.

18VAC85-20-30. Advertising ethics.

E. A licensee of the board shall not advertise information which is false, misleading, or deceptive. 
"Be kind,  for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."  Plato....




No comments:

Post a Comment