The Beginning....

The Beginning....
When William Least Heat-Moon toured the country many years ago, his steed, if you will, was a van that he named Ghost Dancing. His journey of America was 13,000 miles. His book is Blue Highways, A Journey Into America. My steed will be a Subaru WRX (traded for an XV Crosstrek). My travels will be, what in the past were called, the blue highways of Virginia. Years ago, maps showed secondary roads in blue. Yes, the ones less traveled.

Monday, January 8, 2018

What Will a Border Wall Accomplish?

I have no knowledge of what's going on at the border. I only
As I understand it, these are the sample walls.
know that Trump's talking about spending $18,000,000,000 (dang, is that eighteen billion?).

There would seem to be two kinds of folks crossing the border. Regular folks who are seeking a better life and those who are crossing for criminal reasons.

It would seem that for those in the first group there would be no incentive or reason to cross if there were no jobs. Yes, my idea is simplistic. Anyone who hires someone who is in the country illegally is fined $1,000 per workday. Yep, a fellow is here illegally and works ten days, the employer is fined $10,000. Have special courts set up to try these cases within 30 days of arresting the employers, This would not cost the taxpayers anything. The fines will cover all of the expenses.

I don't see how a wall will keep anyone from crossing the border, especially those who are coming with criminal intent. Here is where we should spend our resources. Pass any needed laws that would make these people think twice before coming here and committing crimes. Harsh penalties.

I'm sure I had a 55-word story about Trump's 30-foot walls but I can't find it. All it amounted to was that Lowes and Home Depot started an ongoing sale on their 30-foot ladders. (Remember, our president said among other things, that the walls were going to be thirty feet.)


EDIT: January 9, 2018. Here's an interesting article about the wall. A gift to drug cartels?

2 comments:

  1. The photo is great.... I hope those are only sample walls... hahaha... they won't keep anyone out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene and I have been driving along the border for a couple of weeks now. In Lukeville, AZ today. Still hundreds of miles to go. Anyone who has driven this knows, there is never going to be a wall! It's just his way of playing to stupid people. This border is long and of incredible varied and hostile environments. Not going to happen, so I would not worry about it.

    ReplyDelete